Knowing how to help breast cancer survivors in your community recover best, following surgery and radiotherapy, is rewarding work for therapists as it helps reduce the burden of cancer for patients.
However many of the common impairments require customized palpation skills and these differ from those used for most other medical conditions - for example, lymphoedema skills do not translate well to managing problematic lumpectomy dissection scar tissue.
This online course is designed for therapists wanting to provide assessments and treatments for breast cancer survivors. It will suit therapists with PT, OT oncology massage or lymphoedema training.
This short online course will help you develop hands-on skills in palpation, identification of common impairments and tight tissue release.
The main treatments that will be covered are:
1. Gentle PIR
2. Lewit Barrier release ( skin, superficial and deep tissues, trigger points and scars)
3. Adapted manual cupping ( you can receive a posted a practice cupping device)
4. Low-pressure facilitation for best rib, humerus and scapula positioning
These skills will make positive changes to people after breast cancer who are experiencing limited arm movement, musculoskeletal pain and weakness.
Course starts Saturday October 1 EST 4pm -6pm
AEST- Sunday morning or Saturday morning sessions depending on where you live in the world.
This will correspond to USA afternoon sessions- use Brisbane to USA time converter.
The Hand pressure training device is a key part of this training. This item will accelerate your learning and offer you ways of communicating the handhold pressure that you use with your clients in the future. Practising a range of low-pressure handholds to become automatic and reliable will help your oncology rehab practice. See more details in the additional info section for how to construct your own device with two easily obtainable items.
PURCHASE STANDARD TOUCH RENTAL HERE NOW CURRENTLY CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
IT WILL BE A SMALL GROUP (Min 4, Max 20) LEARNING EXPERIENCE
We will meet over ZOOM
PLAN YOUR LIVE TRAINING
1. All research and background reading will be available in the Modules only.
2. The Modules are a perfect way to prep for the Live sessions. They take at least 12 hours to complete, so plan to complete the Modules before the Live Sessions.
3. Live sessions will have the following parts:
- Instructions for treatment/s
- Online practice with a partner attending the session
- Questions and debrief from past learning
- Recommended practice/s to reinforce learning
4. You will receive a video copy of the Live session for your personal use only. The videos can not be copied or shared.
Course1-USA ONLINE & LIVE COURSE: Supporting best recovery
Cancelling your course participation 2 weeks prior to commencement will incur a fee of AU $250, if you have rec